Le Temple de Vers-L'Eglise

Description

Legend has it that, when the inhabitants of the Valley des Ormonts were trying to decide where to build a church, they erected 3 wooden poles.

Mention of a church in Ormont-Dessus already appeared in 1396 in a will left by the widow of a lord of Pontverre. The church was dedicated to St. Théodule, the first Bishop of the Valais. The foundations of this first edifice show that it was built on a north-south axis and its main door was the one facing the fountain today. The present church was probably built in 1456, blessed by the Bishop Henri Asperlin of Sion. In around 1530, during the Bernese Reformation, the Church became Protestant. The date 1709 on the arch over the choir stalls probably refers to renovation work carried out during the Bernese officialdom. Further restoration was undertaken in 1960. The five-sided choir is lit by five windows. The two smaller ones, reopened during the restoration, have stained glass windows, the work of Bernard Viglino, representing St. Theodule and St. George, the two patrons of the church. On the keystone is the oldest attestation of the town's coat of arms. To the south of the choir, the old baptismal font has been placed. The nave is very simple, with whitewashed walls. The vault is a beautiful wooden barrel ceiling. A wide gallery runs around the nave, where the original pews are still located. An organ was installed in 1968 by Armagni & Mingot. The pulpit, beautifully executed, bears the date 1748, while the canopy is older, 1709. An old wooden chest from Les Ormonts serves as a communion table. The bell tower is a massive tower built in 1494. In its upper part, it is pierced by four large ogival windows. It contains an old bell from 1564, the largest, and two more recent ones dated 1756 and 1760. In the entrance hall, one can still admire an ancient trunk used to receive offerings.

Easter 2022 - Pastoral Sector of Aigle Aigle-Bex-Ollon-Roche-Leysin-Les Ormonts-Villars-Gryon

Legend has it that, when the inhabitants of the Valley des Ormonts were trying to decide where to build a church, they erected 3 wooden poles.

Mention of a church in Ormont-Dessus already appeared in 1396 in a will left by the widow of a lord of Pontverre. The church was dedicated to St. Théodule, the first Bishop of the Valais. The foundations of this first edifice show that it was built on a north-south axis and its main door was the one facing the fountain today. The present church was probably built in 1456, blessed by the Bishop Henri Asperlin of Sion. In around 1530, during the Bernese Reformation, the Church became Protestant. The date 1709 on the arch over the choir stalls probably refers to renovation work carried out during the Bernese officialdom. Further restoration was undertaken in 1960. The five-sided choir is lit by five windows. The two smaller ones, reopened during the restoration, have stained glass windows, the work of Bernard Viglino, representing St. Theodule and St. George, the two patrons of the church. On the keystone is the oldest attestation of the town's coat of arms. To the south of the choir, the old baptismal font has been placed. The nave is very simple, with whitewashed walls. The vault is a beautiful wooden barrel ceiling. A wide gallery runs around the nave, where the original pews are still located. An organ was installed in 1968 by Armagni & Mingot. The pulpit, beautifully executed, bears the date 1748, while the canopy is older, 1709. An old wooden chest from Les Ormonts serves as a communion table. The bell tower is a massive tower built in 1494. In its upper part, it is pierced by four large ogival windows. It contains an old bell from 1564, the largest, and two more recent ones dated 1756 and 1760. In the entrance hall, one can still admire an ancient trunk used to receive offerings.

Easter 2022 - Pastoral Sector of Aigle Aigle-Bex-Ollon-Roche-Leysin-Les Ormonts-Villars-Gryon

Contact Information

Location
EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_BEGIN EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_END