La Maison de Commune

Description

Built in 1812 by Jean François Fayod, a local notable, this house was bought by the Commune of Bex in 1892. It served the needs of the municipal administration and housed a prison before becoming the local scientific college from 1930 to 2008. It is now used again by the administration after a major transformation in April 2011. Its stone staircase from Saint-Triphon and its well-presented roof structure are quite remarkable.

This house was built in 1812 for the family of Jean François Fayod (1752-1824), a notary, lawyer and then judge in Bex from 1789 to 1798. He later held political positions as a deputy in the Grand Council, then as a judge in the appeal court of the Canton of Vaud. For a long time it remained in the hands of this family, but was bought by the Commune of Bex in 1892. It served the needs of the municipal administration and housed a prison before becoming the local scientific college from 1930 to 2008. Disused and then completely transformed - with the exception of the interior staircase in Saint Triphon stone - following the fall of a beam in April 2008, the building regained its initial function by housing all the administrative services of the commune in April 2011. A holokinetic work by the Bellerin artist K-Soul can be admired in the entrance hall. Its framework, which was very well highlighted during the last works, is also remarkable. Sources of information: Fiche n° 15 du recensement architectural du canton de Vaud. Municipal archives, Bex.

Visit of the hall during opening hours.

Built in 1812 by Jean François Fayod, a local notable, this house was bought by the Commune of Bex in 1892. It served the needs of the municipal administration and housed a prison before becoming the local scientific college from 1930 to 2008. It is now used again by the administration after a major transformation in April 2011. Its stone staircase from Saint-Triphon and its well-presented roof structure are quite remarkable.

This house was built in 1812 for the family of Jean François Fayod (1752-1824), a notary, lawyer and then judge in Bex from 1789 to 1798. He later held political positions as a deputy in the Grand Council, then as a judge in the appeal court of the Canton of Vaud. For a long time it remained in the hands of this family, but was bought by the Commune of Bex in 1892. It served the needs of the municipal administration and housed a prison before becoming the local scientific college from 1930 to 2008. Disused and then completely transformed - with the exception of the interior staircase in Saint Triphon stone - following the fall of a beam in April 2008, the building regained its initial function by housing all the administrative services of the commune in April 2011. A holokinetic work by the Bellerin artist K-Soul can be admired in the entrance hall. Its framework, which was very well highlighted during the last works, is also remarkable. Sources of information: Fiche n° 15 du recensement architectural du canton de Vaud. Municipal archives, Bex.

Visit of the hall during opening hours.

Schedules

Closed now
08:00 - 11:30
13:30 - 16:30

Contact Information

Location
EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_BEGIN EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_END