Fountain in the schoolyard

Description

In the large courtyard of the school, just behind the Maison de Commune, a small damaged pool, even if it is made of Saint-Triphon marble, but still a little lost between the basketball area and the new temporary classrooms for the students, makes you want to pass quickly.

But the opportunity is too good. We must talk about this community centre, whose hall is open during administrative hours. Since 2011, the community centre, which was previously located in the building next door, has been installed in its new premises. It is a beautiful house. Everyone praises the quality of its stone staircase from Saint-Triphon and its frame. But it is also necessary to tell the story of this building which was known for a long time as the scientific college of Bex, as much as the secondary level of the compulsory school, as well as the youth centre, in its time. The building itself dates back to 1806, a not insignificant date in the history of Bex. The first house on this site was burnt down in that year, on Saturday 3 May 1806 to be exact, when a huge fire destroyed 14 buildings in this area, the former domain of La Ruaz, as well as the choir of the Temple and the nave, which were rebuilt seven years later. The newly rebuilt property belonged for a long time to the Fayod family, local notables who agreed to sell the property to the commune in 1892. It first became the mixed industrial college, then the scientific college, then the secondary college until the beginning of this century. For the history lovers, we'll notice that the Maison de Commune is just next to what was, in the 19th century, one of the high places of the regional gastronomy, the former Hôtel de l'Ours, which became later the Hôtel de l'Union, another building of the Bellerin thermalism.

In the large courtyard of the school, just behind the Maison de Commune, a small damaged pool, even if it is made of Saint-Triphon marble, but still a little lost between the basketball area and the new temporary classrooms for the students, makes you want to pass quickly.

But the opportunity is too good. We must talk about this community centre, whose hall is open during administrative hours. Since 2011, the community centre, which was previously located in the building next door, has been installed in its new premises. It is a beautiful house. Everyone praises the quality of its stone staircase from Saint-Triphon and its frame. But it is also necessary to tell the story of this building which was known for a long time as the scientific college of Bex, as much as the secondary level of the compulsory school, as well as the youth centre, in its time. The building itself dates back to 1806, a not insignificant date in the history of Bex. The first house on this site was burnt down in that year, on Saturday 3 May 1806 to be exact, when a huge fire destroyed 14 buildings in this area, the former domain of La Ruaz, as well as the choir of the Temple and the nave, which were rebuilt seven years later. The newly rebuilt property belonged for a long time to the Fayod family, local notables who agreed to sell the property to the commune in 1892. It first became the mixed industrial college, then the scientific college, then the secondary college until the beginning of this century. For the history lovers, we'll notice that the Maison de Commune is just next to what was, in the 19th century, one of the high places of the regional gastronomy, the former Hôtel de l'Ours, which became later the Hôtel de l'Union, another building of the Bellerin thermalism.

Contact Information

Location
EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_BEGIN EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_END